Friday, February 24, 2012

Saguaro and the Updated Roadside Motel

I was flipping through my March Conde Nast Traveler magazine and came across this cool new hotel in Palm Springs called Saguaro.  It used to be a Holiday Inn (which I remember looking at when I was planning a trip to PS).  Its the same design team that redesigned the Ace Palm Springs hotel (Sydell Group) that put the fresh spill on this out-dated hotel.  I love how bright and clean it looks especially the exterior and poolside. I suddenly have a huge urge to visit Palm Springs.

 


This is such a fun trend in accommodations.  With so many great old buildings being demolished to make way for new ones...its SO nice to see these classics being refurbished and put to good use!  
Side note: for those in Vancouver...all those sold signs for blocks down Cambie street makes me so sad!  there are so many cool homes with big yards from the 50s and 60s...all being torn down for new apartment buildings.  Reminds of Arcade Fire's Suburbs:
....
And all of the walls that they built in the seventies finally fall
And all of the houses they built in the seventies finally fall
Meant nothin' at all
Meant nothin' at all
It meant nothing

.......

So can you understand?
Why I want a daughter while I'm still young
I wanna hold her hand
And show her some beauty
Before all this damage is done

Thats why these roadside remodels are so awesome.  Here are a few more note worthy re-dos


The Surf Lodge - in Montauk New York
Thunderbird - in Marfa Texas
The Jupiter Hotel - in Portland Oregon
Ace Hotel Palm Springs





No comments:

Post a Comment